Coaches Code of Conduct
MGSA expects each manager and coach to adhere to the following Code of Conduct:
1. I will promote good sportsmanship on and off the field, teach appropriate softball skills, and have fun in the process.
2. I will not (in word or action) overemphasize the value and importance of winning.
3. I will respect the coaches, players and spectators of the opposing team before, during, and after the game, win or lose.
4. I will maintain control of my emotions and avoid actions, language and gestures that may be interpreted as hostile or humiliating.
5. I realize, and accept that a team’s reputation is built not only on its playing ability, but also on its sportsmanship, courtesy and manner.
Rules and Policies
1. I will know and understand the rules and abide by them (whether local or national). I will instruct my team members in the rules and coach my team in such a way as to motivate each player to compete according to the rules at all times.
2. I will provide a safe environment both physically and mentally for players from all teams.
3. I will adhere to a tobacco/alcohol-free environment at games and practices for managers, coaches, parents and fans. The City of Midlothian and MGSA has a no tobacco/alcohol policy (includes chewing tobacco and smoking vapes) at The Sports Park, that must be followed.
4. I will understand the league participation rules for the association. All coaches must ensure that each player gets maximum opportunities to bat and play the field in each game.
5. I have read, and will fully comply with the Coaches Code of Conduct.
6. I will review the MGSA website (www.midlothiangsa.com) on a regular basis to make sure that I am informed of all MGSA rules, policies and updates.
7. I will make contact with my team within 48 hours of the draft.
The Umpires and Other Resources
1. I recognize the umpire is the sole judge on the field of play. The questioning of his/her decisions by managers, coaches, players or spectators in a disrespectful or abusive manner will NOT be tolerated.
2. Umpires and MGSA Board Members have the authority to remove any player, coach, or spectator from a game and can declare the game a forfeit due to unsportsmanlike conduct.
3. I will be responsible in caring for equipment, for care of fields prior to games and for cleaning up fields, dugouts and stands after games in accordance with policies that MGSA may establish from time to time. I will make sure that all league-provided equipment is clean and accounted for when returned after the season.
The Parents and the League
1. I will maintain an open line of communication with players and their parents, informing them of all practices, games, and other responsibilities in a timely manner. When approached by a parent to discuss any issue, I will interact and respond in a respectful manner.
2. I understand that I am the point of contact between my team and all MGSA officials. I will take my obligations seriously and communicate effectively and in a courteous manner.
3. I will understand and review the parent/player Codes of Conduct with all parents and players. I will approach coaching at practices and games accordingly.
4. I will ensure that fans of the team conduct themselves with sportsmanship and maturity at all times while in attendance at games and will assist the officials in maintaining control of spectators during games.
5. I will be prepared to intervene in any sportsmanship issues caused by any parent or player on my team. I will promote positive, non-abusive behavior from all parents and spectators.
6. I will not leave the field of play for any reason other than an emergency. I will notify the umpire of my departure and appoint a coach to be my replacement.
7. I will make sure that coaches, players, and the team parent (if any) are the only persons allowed in the dugout during a game.
8. I will support MGSA in all concessionaire assignments along with other duties that may be assigned to teams from time to time.
1. I will conduct practices in an organized manner, with a planned agenda that focuses on specific skill development appropriate for the age and skill level of my players.
2. I will focus on providing instruction based on players abilities so all players have the opportunity to advance their skills towards their full potential, gain confidence and develop self-esteem, as well as establish a solid foundation for further softball competition.
3. I will teach each player, especially through personal example, to be humble and generous in victory and proud and courteous in defeat.
4. I understand that coaches are appointed by the league to be responsible for the team’s actions on the field and to represent the team in communications with the umpires, opposing teams and league.
I, the undersigned, agree to follow the Code of Conduct and comply with all League rules, policies and procedures. I understand that I am a representative of MGSA and that my conduct on and off the field affects this organization. I understand that if my conduct, whether participating in an MGSA activity or not, is in violation of this Code, MGSA By-Laws or Constitution will not be tolerated and that violations will subject me to disciplinary action that could include a warning, game suspension or season suspension, as well as impact my opportunity to coach in future seasons. I further acknowledge the authority of the Board of Directors of MGSA and understand that if permitted to coach or manage I serve solely at the pleasure of the Board, which permission may be revoked at any time. My failure to honor the authority of the Board and its members or to show them proper respect will be deemed to be a violation of this Code of Conduct. Accordingly, I understand that I may be called to speak to some or all of the Board at any time and that if called my failure to attend could result in an immediate suspension. I understand that if I am suspended, I will not be permitted to attend any league functions (practices, games, etc.).
_____________________________________________ Name (printed)